Friday, August 8, 2008

I remember when......

I was in school we would go and shop for school supplies. We would get a Trapper Keeper (who remembers those), a ream of paper, and a set of markers if we were lucky. We didn't even have backpacks and we brought books home everyday! Today we spend $75 dollars. The school does not even supply a dictionary. Today the kids don't bring a book home, it is all online and we buy $30 backpacks! I don't get it... Our kids are absolutely giddy every year to get school supplies, bring them home, organize them, and just basically just touch the stuff for four hours. What a boring life we must lead. I think it is cute.

So we met the teachers last night. Kate has known for about two weeks who she has for a teacher, "the lady that never smiles." I have encouraged her to have a good attitude about it, things will be fine. She woke up yesterday morning and first thing asked if it was meet the teacher night. I told her it was, she started whining. Again, I tell her to be positive, you may love her. We don't encourage name calling, but she has been referred to as the ogre for a week or so! Oh before I forget. We ran into Leroy Carson in the office, his kids and their house manager. We exchanged numbers and plan to do lunch soon. Okay back to the ogre! We walk into the classroom and greet teacher. She was not the least bit friendly. She shook Kate's hand and told her to find her cubby, and her spot where she would be sitting. Justin has a wonderful group of teachers. His homeroom teacher is the BOMB!!!!! I cant believe we have a Jr. Higher. And to think we consider starting all over again... Justin is such a sweet, sweet, boy. We couldn't ask for a better kids. I love J dog! So we get in the car and Tim says "I don't like that teacher." "She was too Stearn on a night when she should be warm," (and fluffy I said.) "I want her to be moved" says my awesome husband who Kate has wrapped around her little finger! So that is exactly what he will be doing sometime today. Fingers crossed.






5 comments:

Susie said...

Cool stuff, huh? Good for Tim for making the move for Kate. If she doesn't feel good about it at the beginning, it could set her up for a challenging year. Obviously they have to learn to give things their best shot and be open minded but it's good to go with your gut about these things!!

Cool about Leroy...haven't seen him for a while!

A Full House said...

I remember Trapper Keepers!
My kids love shopping for school supplies too. We get them as early as possible, usually, and the kids will take them out "just to look at them". It is pretty funny. Our elementary school supplies all the kids w/ school supplies so only Cassie and Court need them. We did buy Connor a folder and notebook to have at home so he didn't feel left out. Yes, school supplies for us, when we were kids, were different. I remember as a kid the schools never let us have markers :(

I hope Kate gets a sweeter teacher!
Connor's teacher is older and a little on the strict side. But, she was very sweet and warm at Meet the Teacher. Strict is one thing but mean and cold is another!

Happy first day of school Justin and Kate!

FlipFlop Mom said...

I never could have a trapper keeper.. they were to expensive.. :(...
I can't believe your kiddos are back to school...

Stacey said...

I think it's perfectly fine that you're switching her to another class. The whole year will revolve around her and the teacher working well together. Hang in there!

Jeff had lunch with Leroy last week and got caught up on his life. He's had lots of stuff happening lately.

So what was this about starting all over again? Is there a baby on the way??

Amie said...

Trapper keepers!! I had a unicorn one!!